A Bangladeshi boy who had been in coma after meeting a traffic accident died this month after three years and two months of hospitalisation, reports the Gulf News.
Abtahi Siddiuque, 17, was having problems with his blood circulation in the week before his death, said his mother Shakila Nasrin.
‘He was hit by a car on April 18, 2017, and had been in hospital ever since. The doctors alerted me that his condition was on the decline. So I had gone to see him twice this week before he passed away,’ Nasrin, a 34-year-old homemaker, told Gulf News.
Abtahi’s father was however unable to see his son before Abtahi died as he was stranded in Bangladesh amid travel restrictions due to the coronavirus pandemic. The teenager was buried in Abu Dhabi’s Bani Yas graveyard last week.
In 2017, Abtahi was on his way to a friend’s house to work on a school assignment. He was hit by a speeding car while he was crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing in the capital’s Musaffah suburb. He was rushed to the hospital. His mother said that he had undergone multiple surgeries to his brain over the past two years.
As he lay on his hospital bed connected to multiple tubes, Abtahi’s eyes would remain open, but Nasrin said it was difficult to tell if he was aware of anything.
Earlier this month, Nasrin said that she was informed by the doctors that her son was not doing well.
‘Fluid would collect around his brain, and surgeries were performed to drain it. But in his final days, there was swelling around it as well. Along with circulatory problems, he had also stopped passing urine, and there were no bowel movements,’ Nasrin said.
Abtahi died on June 11 and was buried a few days later. He is survived by his parents, and a 12-year-old brother.
‘We are waiting for a decision by the court on the final amount that we have to pay, and we will then settle it,’ Nasrin said.